“They were shy creatures, the jackalope wives, though there was nothing shy about the way they danced. You could go your whole life and see no more of them than the flash of a tail vanishing around the backside of a boulder. If you were lucky, you might catch a whole line of them outlined against the sky, on the top of a bluff, the shadow of horns rising off their brows.” – From “Jackalope Wives”
T. Kingfisher is the author of multiple short stories, many of which can be read online. Many are retold fairy-tales, while others derive purely from the author’s fevered imagination.
The following are all available online and can be read in any order. Most appeared initially on the author’s blog.
- Jackalope Wives – Nebula & WSFA Award winning short story, published in Apex Magazine, under the name Ursula Vernon
- The Sea Witch Sets The Record Straight
- Toad Words
- Bluebeard’s Wife
- Elegant and Fine
- The Wolf & The Woodsman
- The Dryad’s Shoe – Published in the Women Destroy Fantasy anthology
- Pocosin – Published in Apex Magazine #68, under the name Ursula Vernon
- Wooden Feathers - Published in Uncanny Magazine #7 under the name Ursula Vernon
- Telling the Bees – Published in Strange Horizons, December 2015
- The Tomato Thief - Published in Apex Magazine #80, under the name Ursula Vernon
- Razorback - Published in Apex Magazine #80, under the name Ursula Vernon